Simple iced Christmas cake
Simple Iced Christmas Cake is a time for joy, merriment, and delightful treats. One such treat that holds a special place on the holiday table is the iced Christmas cake.
With its rich flavors, festive decorations, and a touch of magic, a simple iced Christmas cake is sure to spread cheer and bring smiles to the faces of young and old.
In this article, we will explore the beauty of a simple iced Christmas cake and guide you through creating your edible masterpiece.
The Essence of a Simple Iced Christmas Cake:
A simple iced Christmas cake is a traditional fruit cake baked to perfection and adorned with a layer of smooth, sweet icing.
The fruit cake is a delicious combination of dried fruits, nuts, spices, and a touch of spirits like brandy or rum. The moist and flavorful cake is then covered in a layer of marzipan and finished off with a coating of royal icing.
The Key Ingredients Benefits Used in Christmas Cake:
To create a simple iced Christmas cake, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Dried fruits: Common choices include raisins, currants, sultanas, candied citrus peels, cherries, and cranberries. Choose your favorite combinations according to your taste.
- Nuts: Chopped almonds, walnuts, or pecans add a delightful crunch to the cake.
- Spices: Warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice infuse the cake with that unmistakable festive flavor.
- Spirits: Brandy or rum, used in moderation, provides a rich depth of flavor. Alternatively, you can use fruit juice as a non-alcoholic option.
- Flour: Use all-purpose flour as the base for the cake.
- Butter and sugar: These ingredients contribute to the cake’s richness and sweetness.
- Eggs: They bind the ingredients together and add moisture to the cake.
- Marzipan: A layer of marzipan adds a smooth and sweet foundation for the icing.
- Royal icing: Combining powdered sugar, egg whites, and a touch of lemon juice creates a firm, glossy icing that beautifully covers the cake.
Let’s Start Our Recipe
FOR A 20.5CM (8IN) CAKE
- 2 tbsp. apricot jam
- 20.5cm (8in) round fruit cake (we used GH Spiced Orange Fruit Cake)
- 500 g (1lb 2oz) marzipan
- 2tsp vodka (or freshly boiled water)
- icing sugar to dust
- 500 g (1lb 2oz) ready-to-roll white icing
- edible gold luster spray
- Step 1: Gently heat the jam to loosen it, then strain it through a sieve to achieve a smooth spreading consistency. Apply the jam evenly on the top and sides of the cake.
- Step 2: Shape half of the marzipan into a long sausage and use it to cover the cake’s sides. Measure the cake’s circumference with a string and cut the string accordingly. Roll out the marzipan to match the length of the string, ensuring that its height matches that of the cake. Affix the marzipan strip around the cake’s side, using the string as a guide.
- Step 3: To create the cake’s top layer, roll out the remaining marzipan to a thickness of approximately 5mm (¼in). Cut a circular piece of marzipan using the cake tin as a template. Place the marzipan circle on top of the cake and press the edges firmly to ensure a seamless join. Smooth the entire cake surface to eliminate any imperfections, then set it aside to dry overnight.
- Step 4: Brush the marzipan with vodka. Measure across the top of the cake and down to the sides using a piece of string, and cut the string accordingly.
- Step 5: Prepare a surface by dusting it with icing sugar. Roll out the ready-to-roll icing into a circle that matches the length of the string. Carefully transfer the rolled icing onto a rolling pin and place it on the cake. Begin from the top and gently smooth the icing with your hands, gradually working your way down the sides of the cake to ensure a smooth finish. Remove any excess icing by trimming it off with a sharp knife.
- Step 6: Roll out the remaining icing to the thickness of a £1 coin. Use star-shaped cutters of various sizes to cut out shapes. Arrange the stars on a piece of baking parchment and spray them with gold luster. Allow them to dry overnight.
- Step 7: Add the final touches to the cake the following day. Use a small amount of vodka to attach the stars to the cake. Stack the stars to create a three-dimensional effect. If desired, tie a ribbon around the cake to enhance its appearance.
- Q: What is a simple iced Christmas cake?
- A: A simple iced Christmas cake is a traditional fruitcake covered with a layer of icing, typically made with marzipan and fondant. It is a classic dessert enjoyed during the Christmas season.
- Q: How is a simple iced Christmas cake different from other cakes?
- A: A simple iced Christmas cake is specifically associated with the holiday season and is typically rich in flavors due to the inclusion of dried fruits, nuts, and spices. The cake is covered with a layer of icing and often decorated with festive designs.
- Q: What are the key ingredients in a simple iced Christmas cake?
- A: The key ingredients in a simple iced Christmas cake usually include mixed dried fruits (such as raisins, currants, and sultanas), candied peel, chopped nuts (such as almonds), butter, sugar, eggs, flour, spices (such as cinnamon, nutmeg), and alcohol (such as brandy or rum). The icing is typically made with marzipan and fondant.
- Q: How long does it take to make a simple iced Christmas cake?
- A: The preparation time for a simple iced Christmas cake can vary depending on the recipe and the individual’s experience in baking. Generally, it takes around 30 minutes to prepare the cake batter, and the baking time can range from 2 to 3 hours. The icing and decoration process can take an additional few hours.
- Q: Can I make a simple iced Christmas cake in advance?
- A: Yes, making a simple iced Christmas cake in advance is common and even recommended. It takes time for the cake’s flavors to develop and improve. Making the cake a few weeks before Christmas and storing it in an airtight container is the best way to ensure its flavors develop.
- Q: How should I store a simple iced Christmas cake?
- Place an airtight container or tin in which you can store an iced Christmas cake tightly wrapped in parchment paper or foil. Keep it away from direct sunlight in a cool, dry place. To keep the cake moist, you can also feed it alcohol (such as brandy) periodically.
- Q: How long does a simple iced Christmas cake stay fresh?
- A: When stored properly, a simple iced Christmas cake can stay fresh for several weeks, even up to a few months. Over time, the cake develops rich flavors and a moist texture. Keep an eye on the cake periodically and discard it if it shows any signs of spoilage.
- Q: Can I freeze a simple iced Christmas cake?
- A: Yes, you can freeze a simple iced Christmas cake. Ensure it is wrapped securely in several layers of plastic or foil to prevent freezer burn. Make sure it’s placed in a freezer-safe container or bag, and then freeze it. After the cake has been thawed, you can serve it.
- Q: How should I serve a simple iced Christmas cake?
- A: A simple iced Christmas cake is typically served in thin slices. Use a sharp knife to cut through the icing and slice the cake. You can enjoy it as it is or accompany it with a dollop of whipped cream, custard, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Q: Can I customize the decoration on a simple iced Christmas cake?
- A: Absolutely! The decoration on a simple iced Christmas cake can be customized according to your preferences. You can use various techniques to create festive designs, such as adding snowflake patterns, holly leaves, berries, or even a miniature Christmas scene using fondant or icing. Let your creativity shine!